[avahi] Getting avahi to work over a ssh tunnel

5uj34k502 at sneakemail.com 5uj34k502 at sneakemail.com
Sat Mar 18 22:44:58 PST 2006

Hello,

Is there any way to get avahi to work over a ssh tunnel?

I have a PowerMac at work serving my CD collection via iTunes. At home I have an eMac (desktop) and a Linux laptop.

I can use my eMac at home to listen to my iTunes collection at work. It involves 1) a ssh tunnel mapping office port 3689 to home port 4689, and 2) a program called Network (formerly Rendezvous) Beacon, which maps home port 4689 to home port 3689 using daap.

The question is, can I do the same on Linux using avahi? First of all, I can confirm that when I take the laptop to work, it can discover the iTunes service and I can listen to the music hosted on my mac using rhythmbox on my laptop. So avahi works perfectly there (thanks!)

Now, when I use my laptop to try the same port-mapping trick (as for my eMac) at home, however, avahi doesn't discover any services at all. When I run avahi-discover, absolutely nothing comes up.

So, what's the trick to getting this to work? I feel like I am so close..

Thanks,

Pausanias