[avahi] Avahi not working on SuSE Linux 10.1

John Calcote jcalcote at novell.com
Wed Nov 29 10:09:02 PST 2006

Trent,

Thanks for the response. I killed mdnsd and then started the avahi daemon as per your instructions (with the --debug option).

Here's the avahi-daemon console output:

jmc-linux:/home/jcalcote # avahi-daemon --debug
Found user 'avahi' (UID 109) and group 'avahi' (GID 112).
Successfully dropped root privileges.
avahi-daemon 0.6.5 starting up.
netlink.c: packet not from the kernel
Registering HINFO record with values 'I686'/'LINUX'.
Server startup complete. Host name is jmc-linux.local. Local service cookie is 2956792224.
Service "Remote Terminal on jmc-linux" (/etc/avahi/services/ssh.service) successfully established.
netlink.c: packet not from the kernel
dbus-protocol.c: interface=org.freedesktop.Avahi.Server, path=/, member=GetAPIVersion
dbus-protocol.c: interface=org.freedesktop.Avahi.Server, path=/, member=GetState
dbus-protocol.c: interface=org.freedesktop.Avahi.Server, path=/, member=ServiceBrowserNew
dbus-protocol.c: client :1.26 vanished.
dbus-protocol.c: interface=org.freedesktop.Avahi.Server, path=/, member=GetAPIVersion
dbus-protocol.c: interface=org.freedesktop.Avahi.Server, path=/, member=GetState
dbus-protocol.c: interface=org.freedesktop.Avahi.Server, path=/, member=ServiceBrowserNew
dbus-protocol.c: client :1.27 vanished.
dbus-protocol.c: interface=org.freedesktop.Avahi.Server, path=/, member=GetAPIVersion
dbus-protocol.c: interface=org.freedesktop.Avahi.Server, path=/, member=GetState
dbus-protocol.c: interface=org.freedesktop.Avahi.Server, path=/, member=ServiceTypeBrowserNew
dbus-protocol.c: client :1.28 vanished.
dbus-protocol.c: interface=org.freedesktop.Avahi.Server, path=/, member=GetAPIVersion
dbus-protocol.c: interface=org.freedesktop.Avahi.Server, path=/, member=GetState
dbus-protocol.c: interface=org.freedesktop.Avahi.Server, path=/, member=EntryGroupNew
dbus-entry-group.c: interface=org.freedesktop.Avahi.EntryGroup, path=/Client3/EntryGroup1, member=GetState
dbus-entry-group.c: interface=org.freedesktop.Avahi.EntryGroup, path=/Client3/EntryGroup1, member=IsEmpty
dbus-entry-group.c: interface=org.freedesktop.Avahi.EntryGroup, path=/Client3/EntryGroup1, member=AddService
dbus-entry-group.c: interface=org.freedesktop.Avahi.EntryGroup, path=/Client3/EntryGroup1, member=Commit
dbus-protocol.c: interface=org.freedesktop.Avahi.Server, path=/, member=GetAPIVersion
dbus-protocol.c: interface=org.freedesktop.Avahi.Server, path=/, member=GetState
dbus-protocol.c: interface=org.freedesktop.Avahi.Server, path=/, member=ServiceBrowserNew
dbus-protocol.c: client :1.29 vanished.
dbus-protocol.c: client :1.30 vanished.
<Ctrl-C break entered at keyboard>
Got SIGINT, quitting.

--------------

During this session, I ran avahi-publish-service in another ssh shell:

jcalcote at jmc-linux:~> avahi-publish-service "John's Apache" _http._tcp 80
Established under name 'John's Apache'
<Ctrl-C break after several seconds entered at keyboard>
Got SIGINT, quitting.

---------------

While the publish session was running, I ran avahi-browse in yet another ssh shell:

jcalcote at jmc-linux:~> avahi-browse _http._tcp
<Ctrl-C break after several seconds entered at keyboard>
Got SIGINT, quitting.

That's about all. When I follow this same procedure using the Apple tools (mdnsd is the daemon, and dns-sd is the publish browse tool) it just works. I'm sure there's just something I'm not aware of. Does this information help you see what it might be?

Thanks,
John

>>> Trent Lloyd <lathiat at bur.st> 11/28/2006 5:44 PM >>>
Hi John,

When you say it works, what utility were you using to browse
for services?

Could you also paste the output of

avahi-daemon -k (kill running daemon)

then run:
(as root) avahi-daemon --debug

And then attempt to do service discovery/publishing, and send me the log
(via private e-mail if you like rather than to the list)

Cheers,
Trent