[avahi] Sample avahi packet.

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Apr 18 10:02:28 PDT 2007

On Wed, 18.04.07 17:01, Adam Panayis (adam at movency.com) wrote:

> Hi, I would like to create my own avahi publish udp packet using boost
> asio libraries but am not sure exactly what avahi sends out when
> publishing a service.
>
> I have tried using ngrep and tcpdump but can't figure out when I need to
> send.

What are you trying to do? Implement your own mDNS stack? That's not
a trivial task.

The mDNS specification is available from:

http://files.multicastdns.org/draft-cheshire-dnsext-multicastdns.txt

Wireshark/Ethereal is perfectly capable of dissecting mDNS packets.

Have fun,

Lennart Poettering; lennart [at] poettering [dot] net
ICQ# 11060553; GPG 0x1A015CC4; http://0pointer.net/lennart/