[avahi] Using Vendor Driver to Print from Mac to Avahi Announced Printer

Grandin Hammell grandin.hammell at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 20:08:52 PDT 2007

Hello,

I'm trying to set up my MacBook to print using the vendor supplied driver to
my printer shared through CUPS and announced through Avahi. The printer
shows up in the printer chooser but the vendor supplied driver is not being
correctly associated with the printer. It works if connected to the MacBook
directly and my HP Laser announces itself correctly. I've included the
.service file I'm using below. The printer is an EPSON Stylus Photo 820 and
I'm running avahi-daemon 0.6.17 on Ubuntu  Server (Feisty). It will print
using the gimp print driver but the vendor driver is *much* easier to use. I
adapted the txt-records listed below from Bonjour Browser and substituted my
host and share information. Has anyone else had luck getting this working?

Thanks,

Grandin Hammell

ipp.service:
===================
<?xml version="1.0" standalone='no'?><!--*-nxml-*-->
<!DOCTYPE service-group SYSTEM "avahi-service.dtd">
<service-group>
  <name replace-wildcards="yes">Stylus Photo 820 @ %h</name>
  <service>
    <type>_ipp._tcp</type>
    <port>631</port>
    <host-name>tweek.local</host-name>
    <txt-record>txtvers=1</txt-record>
    <txt-record>qtotal=1</txt-record>
    <txt-record>rp=printers/EPSON_Stylus_Photo_820_USB_1</txt-record>
    <txt-record>ty=EPSON SP820 Series</txt-record>
    <txt-record>note=tweek</txt-record>
    <txt-record>product=(EPSON SP820 Series)</txt-record>
    <txt-record>printer-state=3</txt-record>
    <txt-record>printer-type=0xB006</txt-record>
    <txt-record>Transparent=T</txt-record>
    <txt-record>Binary=T</txt-record>

<txt-record>pdl=application/pdf,application/postscript,application/vnd.cups-raster,image/png</txt-record>
  </service>
</service-group>