[avahi] Link local IPV6 addresses

Bill Trost trost at cloud.rain.com
Sun Feb 4 09:41:28 PST 2007

Lennart Poettering writes:
    On Mon, 08.01.07 09:32, Alexander Larsson (alexl at redhat.com) wrote:
    > ...the link local ipv6 address is quite a pain in the ass to use.

Amen!

    Isn't it possible to set a proper IPv6 route for the link-local
    block and thus allowing usage of those addresses even without
    specifying the interface on connect()? That way IPv6 link-local
    addresses would behave much the same way as IPv4 link-local
    addresses. -- if this is is not possible with current Linux kernels,
    then maybe it's time to fix the kernel.

Interesting thought! When I first saw your email, I tried a few
experiments manually creating a static route to a link-local address
using a Linux version 2.6.18-3-amd64 kernel to see if I could make it
Do The Right Thing. Creating the route itself was pretty hard; "route
-6 fe80:..." kept giving an error like "unknown host", and adding that
address to /etc/hosts didn't help, either.  Eventually, I was able to
use "ip -6 route add fe80:1::205:5dff:fef9:cc86 dev wlan0" to create
a route, at least according to "ip -6 route", but it still refused to
automatically use the right interface, even when wlan0 only had a single
address. I never did manage to create a route teling it to use XXX as
the source address when sending to the fe80:: address in question.

Someone with a better touch for route commands might see if they can
make a miracle occur -- in particular, a route that uses a particular
address on an interface as the "gateway" might make sense, but I
couldn't get anything to accept such a route.

Bill