[avahi] LCA Talk

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Feb 5 05:43:28 PST 2007

On Sun, 04.02.07 17:31, Marc Krochmal (marc at apple.com) wrote:

> >The video is now online as well:
> >
> >http://mirror.linux.org.au/linux.conf.au/2007/video/monday/
> >monday_1150_GNOME.ogg
>
> Also, I'd love to hear more about your .mesh proposal.

My thesis work is mostly in German. However I plan to release at least
a small summary in english (without simulation results and stuff).

Basically the algorithm is based on AODV (a mesh routing alg) and
implements a network of cache nodes. DNS-SD is used without any
modifications, mDNS is replaced by this new protocol. The most
important issues are how to deal with saturated links and especially
saturated caches and how to supress traffic effectively in a radio
environment. Since these mesh networks may be very large and memory on
the OLPC machines is very limited the caches are usually fully
satured, and thus we need some really good algorithms for dropping
data from the caches without hurting perfomance.

The protocol can be used on both IEEE 802.11s mesh networks and on
normally routed IP networks.

Stay tuned.

Lennart Poettering; lennart [at] poettering [dot] net
ICQ# 11060553; GPG 0x1A015CC4; http://0pointer.net/lennart/