[avahi] Announcing libavahi-ui

Sjoerd Simons sjoerd at luon.net
Thu Feb 8 08:30:57 PST 2007

On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 05:10:52PM +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Thu, 08.02.07 15:58, Sjoerd Simons (sjoerd at luon.net) wrote:
>
> > > Hmm, I don't think this is a good idea. Firstly, the commit() function
> > > does something similar. (and does it the real way, i.e. it is indeed
> > > atomic) Admittedly though, it works only once after creation of the entry
> > > group. Secondly, Avahi accumulates multiple changes into a single
> > > packet anyway. i.e. you have at least 50ms or so to pass your TXT
> > > changes to Avahi and they will be sent out to the network as a single
> > > packet.
> >
> > Yeah, the freeze and thaw stuff is purely for the Second case. While it's
> > great that avahi optimizes so changes are batched, freeze/thaw does actual
> > give you guarantees instead of assuming that you'll be fast enough (Oh and
> > probably saves some dbus round-trips too).
>
> Hmm, your code makes guarantees? How's that if the underlying Avahi
> code cant give you those?

Aah, now i understand what your problem is. The EntryGroup GObject
keeps track of the information of it's services. So after calling freeze it
only does an actuall call to the underlying API when _thaw is called.

  Sjoerd
--
An age is called Dark not because the light fails to shine, but because
people refuse to see it.