[avahi] Can't browse published services

robert robert at atlantico.com.br
Tue Jan 2 10:19:04 PST 2007

Em Sexta 29 Dezembro 2006 12:47, Lennart Poettering escreveu:
> On Thu, 28.12.06 09:07, robert (robert at atlantico.com.br) wrote:
> > Hi all,
>
> Hi!
>
> > Dec 28 08:00:46 linux-robert avahi-daemon[3322]:
> > dbus-service-type-browser.c:
> > interface=org.freedesktop.Avahi.ServiceTypeBrowser,
> > path=/Client1/ServiceTypeBrowser1, member=Free
>
> This DBUS API call ("ServiceTypeBrowser::Free") frees a service type
> *browser* object - i.e. it has probably nothing to do with KPFS which
> should call something like "EntryGroupNew" - a function for
> *registering* services.. Instead this call was
> probably issued by some browsing app, perhaps avahi-discover. (or
> perhaps Konqueror - which I hope not, since konqueror would behave
> badly if that was the case)

OK, my logs do have an EntryGroupNew entry - here's the whole group of
messages:

Jan  2 07:06:09 linux-robert avahi-daemon[3342]: dbus-protocol.c:
interface=org.freedesktop.Avahi.Server, path=/, member=GetAPIVersion
Jan  2 07:06:09 linux-robert avahi-daemon[3342]: dbus-protocol.c:
interface=org.freedesktop.Avahi.Server, path=/, member=GetState
Jan  2 07:06:09 linux-robert avahi-daemon[3342]: dbus-protocol.c:
interface=org.freedesktop.Avahi.Server, path=/, member=EntryGroupNew
Jan  2 07:06:09 linux-robert avahi-daemon[3342]: dbus-entry-group.c:
interface=org.freedesktop.Avahi.EntryGroup, path=/Client0/EntryGroup1,
member=GetState
Jan  2 07:06:09 linux-robert avahi-daemon[3342]: dbus-entry-group.c:
interface=org.freedesktop.Avahi.EntryGroup, path=/Client0/EntryGroup1,
member=AddService
Jan  2 07:06:09 linux-robert avahi-daemon[3342]: dbus-entry-group.c:
interface=org.freedesktop.Avahi.EntryGroup, path=/Client0/EntryGroup1,
member=Commit

> > That seems to be my event. I can't use avahi-browse to see the service
> > though, nor zeroconf:/ in konqueror , nor a program called mdns-scan .
> > I'm sure I'm just missing something simple. Any ideas ? Please advise
> > what config info I can supply if needed.
>
> Please note that "avahi-browse -a" does not necessarily show all
> services. If you specify the proper service type (i.e. something like
> _ftp._tcp) it should show all matching services, however.

OK, I tried 'avahi-browse  _http._tcp' and 'avahi-browse  _ftp._tcp'  but no
luck.

> Does KPF spit out any error message on STDERR?

It gives me a dialog box saying 'success' on boot and also when adding adding
a service. I see no kpf errors in the standard places, but I'm still looking.

> Have you tried using kdnssd-avahi instead of going over libdns_sd?
>
> Lennart

By default AFAICT libdns_sd is disabled, I did not enable it, and I confirmed
on compilation it is not enabled. And I did compile and install
kdnssd-avahi - hopefully correctly - per the konqueror / avahi wiki when I
got started.

Trying to simplify the problem, I tried a non-kpfs event such as:

/root> /usr/local/bin/avahi-publish-service "Robert's Apache" _http._tcp 80
Established under name 'Robert's Apache'

However, this command didn't turn up anything:

/home/iksrazal/svn_avahi> /usr/local/bin/avahi-browse _http._tcp

Any ideas? Thanks!
Robert