[avahi] avahi-daemon with Bonjour clients

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Jul 11 15:23:39 PDT 2007

fOn Sun, 01.07.07 20:10, Douglas Choma (doug at nakediron.com) wrote:

> I can't seem to figure out one small detail of getting this to work.
> I'm running a Linux box with Avahi (daemon only).  And the rest of
> the network is running OS X (10.4.10).
>
> I already have a working volume shared on the Linux machine using the
> netatalk package.  I have no problem seeing all of the machines in
> the Finder (including trauma, the Linux box).  But if I click on
> "connect" for the Linux machine, I get the error "Connection
> Failed".  I know that it's a problem with the Mac resolving the IP
> address for trauma.local; because I can put the Linux server in my
> hosts file and it fixes the problem.
>
> Isn't Avahi supposed to be providing the IP address for
> trauma.local?  Apparently the other Macs are providing that
> information because they all connect to one another.  I've read all
> the documentation I could find, and just can't seem to figure this
> out.  I'd like to avoid adding the server/ip to everyone's hosts file
> as that seems to negate the simplicity of the mDNS system.
>
> If it's of any help, I've tried both the native packages (avahi-
> daemon and netatalk) from Debian etch.  And I've also tried my own
> versions compiled from source with the same results.

Does resolving the hostname of the Debian machine from one of the
MacOSX machine with a tool like "ping" work?

Does resolving the local host name on the Linux machine work?
(requires an installation of nss-mdns)

Do you have some kind of firewall running?

Or maybe some bug network driver (many WLAN drivers are borked when it
comes to multicasting)? Try setting the +allmuti or +promisc flag.

If all this doesn't help please create a network dump with tcpdump or
wireshark and capture all udp traffic on port 5353, and send it to me!