[avahi] Discovery (or better removal) takes ages

Maximilian Schwerin maximilian.schwerin at buelowssiege.de
Sun Jun 3 10:29:12 PDT 2007

Hi,

I've integrated AVAHI into oxine (an OSD-only frontend to xine-lib). I use it to
discover available Apple Airport Express on the local network.

What I've noticed is that - while discovering an airport express that is there
takes no time at all - noticing that an airport express has vanished from the
network (e.g. been shut down) takes more than an hour.

I can reproduce this behaviour using the tool avahi-discover. It's obvious, that
this behaviour is not acceptable, as a user wants to see the devices that are
there at the moment and not devices that were there an hour ago.

Is this a bug? Is there a parameter I can set to have AVAHI poll more often for
the devices? Or do I have to poll for them myself?

I'd be thankful for any help.

Cheers, Maximilian
--
Bamberger Str. 8 | 10777 Berlin | (0 30) 217 77 07 | mschwerin at buelowssiege.de