[avahi] Does Avahi support unicast domain enumeration?

Joshua ChaitinPollak jpollak at kivasystems.com
Mon May 7 08:24:01 PDT 2007

On May 7, 2007, at 8:58 AM, Lennart Poettering wrote:

> On Wed, 02.05.07 18:17, Joshua ChaitinPollak
> (jpollak at kivasystems.com) wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I just learned today that while Apple's mDNSResponder supports domain
>> enumeration (checking static DNS servers for services by looking for
>> b._dns-sd._udp records) on Mac OS X and Windows, it was never
>> implemented for Posix systems.
>>
>> I can't seem to get my Avahi-based Linux desktop to see these entries
>> either, leading me to think Avahi doesn't support this either.
>
> Just use AvahiDomainBrowser and pass AVAHI_DOMAIN_BROWSER_BROWSE as
> AvahiDomainBrowserType.
>
> You may also use "avahi-browse-domains" from the command line.

When I run 'avahi-browse-domains', nothing happens, as in, the
program runs but just sits there. I assume its not finding anything.
What do I need to get it to respond? I've already got b._dns-
sd._udp,  lb._dns-sd._udp, and db._dns-sd._udp entries in my DNS
record. Do I need anything else?

--
Joshua ChaitinPollak
Software Engineer