[avahi] limit on dbus client objects

Ludovic Courtès ludovic.courtes at laas.fr
Fri Oct 5 02:25:58 PDT 2007

Hi,

Brian Gerkey <brian at gerkey.org> writes:

> - Is there a way to avoid this problem while still using the Bonjour
> API?  E.g., can I get the Avahi-Bonjour layer to reuse its dbus
> client connection somehow?
>
> - If I move to the native Avahi API, will I have a similar problem
> with a single process that registers many services?

You can use a single Avahi client (i.e., a single DBus connection to the
Avahi daemon) for any number of browsers, publishers, etc.  Thus, the
DBus connection limit should not be an issue.

I suppose, as you noted above, that the Bonjour layer does not reuse
clients (e.g., creates one client per browser, publisher, etc.), but I
didn't check.

Thanks,
Ludovic.