[avahi] proposal for avahi service configuration directory change

Trent Lloyd lathiat at bur.st
Fri Sep 28 12:05:19 PDT 2007

Hello,

On 29/09/2007, at 3:00 AM, Jason Whitlark wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> With regards to /etc/avahi/services, I propose we move to the
> apache 2 style of service configuration, i.e.
> services-available and services-enabled directories with symlinks
> from the latter to the former.  This would have three
> benefits that I can see:
>
> 1) Easily enable/disable services, particularly through 3rd party
> applications.
> 2) Management of services would be obvious.
> 3) Allows us to ship sample configurations, allowing people to be
> productive with avahi much faster and increasing adoption.
>
> The code change should be trivial, the only real issue is upgrading
> prior installations to the new method.  I'm a
> systems administrator, and had /etc/avahi been configured this way,
> I'd have immediately understood how it all worked,
> and looked in services-available for examples.  Instead I had to
> spend time reading through docs and searching for
> examples.  Not the end of the world, but for something that can be
> improved, especially for a technology called zeroconf.
>
> What do you think?

I believe that this is a debian-specific thing for apache2 and not
the default configuration?

Personally I am not the biggest fan of this idea, but doing this
wouldn't really even require any changes in avahi if you simply
created a services-available directory and then symlinked them into
the services directory, they would just start working

On that topic, I don't think that examples really belong in a
services-available but it might make sense for debian packages to
install a services-available file but not actually activate it.?

Regards,
Trent