[avahi] Registering to a specific interface?

Trent Lloyd lathiat at bur.st
Mon Aug 18 16:58:03 PDT 2008

Hi Michael,

On 19/08/2008, at 7:04 AM, Michael Bishop wrote:

> Avahi folk,
>
> I'm most used to the DNSSD calls and am trying to find similar
> functionality in avahi. I see that when registering a service using
> Bonjour, I can specify a specific interface upon which to register...
>
>   http://tinyurl.com/6m57dy
>
> In particular, I can specify a constant so it will register in a way
> that only processes on the local machine can see it
>
>   http://tinyurl.com/6m57dy
>
> Is there a way to do this in Avahi?

Actually, we don't support this.

This is something that seemed a bit silly to us originally so we never
implemented it. [Why use DNS-SD for local services!? :)]

However, this has been requested before:
http://www.avahi.org/ticket/198

And a patch was provided although we have not committed this to date.
Perhaps I will review this a little later.

Certainly however this is not available in the currently shipping
version.

Regards,
Trent