[avahi] Resolving multiple IPV6 address

Matt Connolly matt at soundevolution.com.au
Fri Dec 12 14:58:07 PST 2008

On page 15 of that PDF document:

"UIA uses Bonjour libraries to discover new devices
on the local network, but UIA names persist and remain
bound to the original target device despite later migration."

Once devices are introduced, routing happens via each device's EID
which happens through the virtual "tun" interface created by the UIA
router. Effectively, this is a new network interface with its own IP
address, etc.

Avahi/Bonjour can then be used over the tun interface to discover
services of available machines.

In the case where the Bob has a cell and a laptop on his home network,
and they have been introduced by UIA, then the devices would both have
two networks connecting them: local network and UIA. In this case, I
imagine, a web server on the laptop publishing its service with
Bonjour would appear as:

laptop.local:80 <- address on local network (perhaps 10.1.1.8)
laptop.Bob:80 <- address on UIA network (perhaps 169.254.201.73)

For each name, Avahi / Bonjour is showing only one IP address per
network interface.

As far as I can tell, Avahi/Bonjour is only used for initial discovery
on a local network and after this all routing happens via UIA's EIDs
and routing over the UIA virtual tun interface.

-Matt