[avahi] avahi-daemon stops working after undetermined period of time

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Dec 23 10:53:31 PST 2008

On Tue, 23.12.08 13:26, Brian McKee (map at map-heb.com) wrote:

> Well, it's stopped working again, but it hasn't crashed or exited.  When
> I say 'stopped working' I mean the computer no longer shows up in either
> Chicken of the VNC on OSX or Remote Desktop Client & nautilus in Ubuntu.
> I ran it under debug this time.  Results below.  If I understand the
> backtrace thing properly it will only produce useful information if the
> daemon actually crashes - so doing that wouldn't be useful in this
> case?

Ah, I understood Avahi died due to some reason.

If Avahi services only show up initially but then go away this sounds
a lot as if you'd have some kind of firewall running or some hardware
issue that disallows mDNS multicast packets (udp port 5353) to be
received by your computer but allows them to be sent.

Please make sure your firewall is properly configured or
disabled. Also make sure your router properly supports
multicasting. Use wireshark to find out if packets properly travel in
both directions.