[avahi] Avahi published service only appears for less than 30 secs after starting daemon

Michael Tyson mtyson at smartpath.com.au
Mon Feb 4 17:24:03 PST 2008

Hi list!

I'm running Avahi 0.6.22-2 on an Ubuntu box (Kernel version 2.6.22-14-
virtual), running underneath VMWare Player - it's a virtual appliance
in-the-making.  I'm using avahi-daemon to publish a single _http._tcp
service to help with discovery.  The Avahi configuration is all
default from the installation (listed below); the service
configuration a standard .service xml file within /etc/avahi/services
(also listed below).

Upon starting the daemon, the service appears to be being published
correctly - it appears both under Safari (which lists advertised http
services) on my mac, and in the management application I'm writing
in .NET running in Windows.

However, after some small amount of time - approximately 30 seconds -
the service disappears; it no longer appears in either app.  The avahi
daemon appears to still be running after this - it appears in the
process list.

After restarting the daemon, the service reappears again.

As a workaround, I've made a script that restarts the avahi daemon
every 30 seconds, but that is a less-than-ideal solution =)

After reading reports that proprietary network card drivers can have
issues with multicast, I experimented with changing the virtual
network device in the VMWare configuration from the default 'vmxnet' -
I tried 'e1000', which appears not to be supported by the kernel, and
'vlance', which worked but yielded exactly the same results - no
service after approx 30 seconds.

Can anyone suggest a possible path forward?

Many thanks,

Michael

Avahi configuration:
==========================

# $Id: avahi-daemon.conf 1463 2007-05-08 22:50:58Z lennart $
#
# This file is part of avahi.
#
# avahi is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
# under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as
# published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the
# License, or (at your option) any later version.
#
# avahi is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT
# ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY
# or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public
# License for more details.
#
# You should have received a copy of the GNU Lesser General Public
# License along with avahi; if not, write to the Free Software
# Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307
# USA.
# See avahi-daemon.conf(5) for more information on this configuration
# file!
[server]
#host-name=foo
#domain-name=local
#browse-domains=0pointer.de, zeroconf.org
use-ipv4=yes
use-ipv6=no
#check-response-ttl=no
#use-iff-running=no
#enable-dbus=yes
#disallow-other-stacks=no
#allow-point-to-point=no
[wide-area]
enable-wide-area=yes
[publish]
#disable-publishing=no
#disable-user-service-publishing=no
#add-service-cookie=no
#publish-addresses=yes
#publish-hinfo=yes
#publish-workstation=yes
#publish-domain=yes
#publish-dns-servers=192.168.50.1, 192.168.50.2
#publish-resolv-conf-dns-servers=yes
#publish-aaaa-on-ipv4=yes
#publish-a-on-ipv6=no
[reflector]
#enable-reflector=no
#reflect-ipv=no
[rlimits]
#rlimit-as=
rlimit-core=0
rlimit-data=4194304
rlimit-fsize=0
rlimit-nofile=30
rlimit-stack=4194304
rlimit-nproc=3

========================

Service XML:
========================

<?xml version="1.0" standalone='no'?><!--*-nxml-*-->
<!DOCTYPE service-group SYSTEM "avahi-service.dtd">
<service-group>
<name replace-wildcards="yes">%h</name>
<service>
<type>_http._tcp</type>
<port>80</port>
</service>
</service-group>

--
Michael Tyson | Developer | smartpath.com.au

m: (+61) 0407 754 124
e: mtyson at smartpath.com.au
aim: mikerusselltyson