[avahi] Crosscompiling Avahi onto a uClinux system

Trent Lloyd lathiat at bur.st
Fri Feb 8 16:27:01 PST 2008

Hi Anthony,

On 08/02/2008, at 9:22 PM, Antony Barton wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm a fairly inexperienced linux developer and i have been landed
> the task of implementing zeroconf on our embedded linux 2.4 system
> to provide the name translation service (so we can refer to each
> device - whose ip will invariably be unknown - by name), no other
> functionality is required and i would ideally like to omit for space
> considerations.
>
> Has anyone done this or something similar, and can anyone suggest
> what components of the avahi package would be necessary to achieve
> this? I have investigated bonjour also, but have had difficulties
> cross compiling it and i also get the impression that avahi is a
> more appropriate choice for a linux based system.
>
> Any help that anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Most avahi features can be disabled.. if you simply want this you want
a very cut down avahi-daemon (should only need libdaemon) and libnss-
mdns.. if you try to compile it will tell you what --disable options
you need on the fly, or you can check ./configure --help

Heres a good start:

--disable-glib --disable-gobject --disable-qt3 --disable-qt4 --disable-
gtk --disable-dbus --disable-expat --disable-gdbm --disable-python --
disable-pygtk --disable-python-dbus --disable-mono --disable-monodoc

You may or may not want to --disable-autoipd if you are interested in
the automatic IP feature or not.

Then you can just run avahi-daemon and it will publish the local
hostname and use libnss-mdns for resolving them.

Let me know if you have any specific problems.

Regards,
Trent