[avahi] Problem browsing service with avahi and wlan0

Dave Lazar hunkybill at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 06:15:55 PST 2008

HI,

*FAQ #15
Make sure that you are not running a firewall that blocks multicast traffic
on port 5353, group 224.0.0.251.

*I have no Firewall running.
*

 If that's not the issue then you most likely are experiencing trouble with
a broken network driver or WLAN AP, which doesn't properly support IP
multicasting. Try to set the ALLMULTI or even PROMISC flags for your
interface with ifconfig. Also, try to enable UPnP support in your router
(because some routers disable multicasting if UPnP is not enabled). And
check with wireshark what traffic is actually being generated and where it
is lost!

*This rig used to work fine with Ubuntu 7.04 and network driver ipw3945. The
change I made was to upgrade to Ubuntu 7.10 and switch to the iwl3945
network driver. Googling for iwl3945 reveals some people have had some
problems with it, so maybe that is the issue.

Thanks