[avahi] Local only services

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Feb 12 06:17:08 PST 2008

On Thu, 24.01.08 10:46, Yavor Goulishev (ygoulishev at gmail.com) wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm trying to register local only services.
> The services should not be visible from other machines.
>
> I can do this with Bonjour by passing the interface index
> kDNSServiceInterfaceIndexLocalOnly (-1) to the DNSServiceRegister function
> call.
>
> Unfortunately I can't do this with Avahi. Passing -1 for the interface index
> means unspecified.
> Looking at the core code, this feature is not implemented.
> Are there any plans for implementing it?

Hmm, I wasn't aware of this feature of Bonjour. It might make sense to
add this. Please file a wishlist bug on our BTS so I don't forget
about this.

I see no practical reason why we shouldn't implement something like this.

> Is there any other way to register local only services with Avahi?

Nope. We have some stuff to implement the inverse (i.e. not show local
services), but I guess that doesn't help much..,