[avahi] Avahi and Apache VirtualHosts

Xavier Cambar xcambar at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 01:55:45 PST 2008

Hi,
I've recently been discovering the power of Avahi in a virtualized
ubuntu JeOS environment, to have it communicate with its Leopard 'host'.
I don't want to modify the name resolution services on my Mac, as the
purpose of using a virtualized server is to avoid config changes into
Leopard.

Unfortunately, this constraint brings its own problem: As I set name-
based Virtual hosts into Apache (in JeOS), I did not succeed to set
multiple hostnames within Avahi for my virtualized station.

In other words: The JeOS station is called "JeOS". JeOS has many
Virtual Hosts, say JeOS, JeOS1, JeOS2, and so on.
But Avahi publishes (by default) only the JeOS hostname, for mDNS name
resolution.
I'd like Avahi to publish multiple hostnames so my Leopard workstation
could resolve JeOS1, JeOS2, and the others.

Is that feasible?

Note that I've read the recent posts about that very same subject, but
didn't notice any convenient answer, as I can't use the static hosts
file (my virtualized JeOS is DHCP-based, in order to be able to move
from a LAN to another).

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Xavier C.