[avahi] auto browse wide-area

avahi at edouard.vanbelle.fr avahi at edouard.vanbelle.fr
Sat May 31 07:00:36 PDT 2008

Hello,

I am using my hand made dns-sd wide-area and I whish to enable services
discovery of my local area and
wide area at the same time in my clients applications (amarok,
rhythmbox, ...)

The problem is that only the local area is scanned, even if my domain
xmlautoindex.org name is
specified in /etc/avahi/avahi-daemon.conf: browse-domains +
enable-wide-area=yes

$ avahi-browse -D -t
+  n/a  n/a xmlautoindex.org
+  n/a  n/a
+  n/a  n/a priv

$ avahi-browse  -a -t | grep iTunes
+ eth1 IPv4 homeServer                                 iTunes Audio
Access  local

I can only see my local services, if I want to scan my wide area I
should explicitly use:

$ avahi-browse -d xmlautoindex.org -a -t | grep iTunes
+  n/a  n/a externalServer                               iTunes Audio
Access  xmlautoindex.org

Do you know if there is a tip/option to enable browsing of local area
and wide area too ?

My aim is to discover automatically my locals and externals services
from clients application like amarok, rhythmbox.

Maybe I should look on these applications code before ?

Thank you for your help,

Cheers.
Edouard.