[avahi] Avahi bound to an IP address.

Trent Lloyd lathiat at bur.st
Sat Oct 25 00:52:06 PDT 2008

Hi Ian,

On 24/10/2008, at 11:17 PM, Ian Lambert wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I've been developing a linux-based product with a web-based
> configuration. The network configuration consists of two interfaces;
> one
> "Real" (eth0 192.168.1.xx), and one "Virtual" (eth0:1 192.168.2.10).
>
> I was wondering if there was a way to prevent avahi from assigning
> the .local domain to the "virtual" interface, as the 192.168.2.xx is
> meant as a "last resort" sort of way to configure the system.

You should not leave the IP (2.x) on your system.. as when you
reconfigure it people would expect that IP to be freed up.. in case it
conflicts with something else on the network etc.

But the answer to your question is no, we have no way to prevent
advertisement of an IP.

You can for a whole interface, but an alias (xx:1) is not a real
interface.

Thanks,
--
Trent Lloyd