[avahi] Making a client robust

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Sep 4 14:35:33 PDT 2008

On Thu, 04.09.08 23:03, Stefan de Konink (avahi at ml.kinkrsoftware.nl) wrote:

> Hi,
>

> Now many code shows place for BROWSER_FAILURE, CLIENT_FAILURE, etc. but
> what should a programmar do with this if the application should not get
> b0rked but just make an attempt to recover?
>
> Register a new client? Or is there some other way to reinitialise a failure?

The only error code I'd catch to restart things is
AVAHI_CLIENT_FAILURE with avahi_client_errno() ==
AVAHI_ERR_DISCONNECTED. That is usually caused by avahi daemon
restarts. The correct way to handle that is described in the doxygen docs:

http://avahi.org/download/doxygen/main.html

(The part about "How to Write a Client That Can Deal with Daemon
Restarts")

The other errors are mostly non recoverable. i.e. argument errors and
similar kind that won't go away by repeating those calls.