[avahi] how to browse only two (or all) service types

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Aug 3 15:10:52 PDT 2009

On Fri, 31.07.09 09:39, Ali Mazhar (ali_mzr at hotmail.com) wrote:

> Hi Trent,
>
> Thanks for the info. My application is for a mesh network and
> therefore I need to see all the workstations which are in the same
> network just like on line users in a messenger!

You shouldn't be using _workstation for this. This service used to be
registered by some older MacOS versions and Avahi versions, too. But
we don't register it anymore by default. And it's not exactly clear
what this service stands for but it certainly doesn't stand for what I
used to think it stands for and I doubt it stands for what you think
it stands for either.

> Btw, how is it possible to remove a published service,
> e.g. multicast, from avahi without restarting the daemon. Actually,
> my application simply publishes a multicast stream port using
> "avahi-publish" and then start VLC application but when VLC is
> closed the multicast stops but service still remains in avahi daemon
> unless I restart it which naturally brings down my avahi browse
> application. Any tips?

As Trent mentioned, just kill avahi-publish. Or
avahi_entry_group_free() if you use the C API.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net