[avahi] Setting a timeout value for .service file

Petri Virkkala petri.virkkala at ee.tamk.fi
Thu Aug 13 06:03:50 PDT 2009

Hi all,

I'm working on software for mesh networking that uses Avahi for service discovery.

I'm publishing the mesh stations in /etc/avahi/services/ with my own service type. The .service file is created when a user joins the network and deleted when user leaves from it.

The problem is that if user is disconnected from the network by - let's say unplugging the usb wlan adapter - the station still appears in the Avahi Discovery (and in the software) for too long. Is there a way to control the timeout when using .service files?

Thanks for your time,
Petri