[avahi] Setting a timeout value for .service file

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Sun Aug 16 12:32:16 PDT 2009

On Thu, 13.08.09 16:03, Petri Virkkala (petri.virkkala at ee.tamk.fi) wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm working on software for mesh networking that uses Avahi for
> service discovery.
>
> I'm publishing the mesh stations in /etc/avahi/services/ with my own
> service type. The .service file is created when a user joins the
> network and deleted when user leaves from it.
>
> The problem is that if user is disconnected from the network by -
> let's say unplugging the usb wlan adapter - the station still
> appears in the Avahi Discovery (and in the software) for too
> long. Is there a way to control the timeout when using .service
> files?

Uh, dynamically dropping .service files into /etc/avahi/services/ is
really hackish, as Robin already pointed out.

The TTL can only be set in the lowest-level DNS RR registration C
API. If you need to fiddle with the TTL than you need to use
avahi_entry_group_add_record().

However, I am not sure that playing games with the TTL like this is
really a good idea anyway.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net