[avahi] avahi not functioning on Slackware 12.2

Steve steve at gnomeslackbuild.org
Tue Jan 27 01:25:22 PST 2009

Ted Percival wrote:
> The two most common problems are:
> 1. Firewall blocking UDP port 5353
> 2. Network driver doesn't support multicast properly
>
> It sounds like you're running all these commands on the same machine,
> can you confirm or deny that?
>
> Anyway run `iptables -L` to see if there are firewall rules blocking UDP
> port 5353. Perhaps this was also suggested on IRC.
>
> For #2 (network driver problem) you can test it by running
>   ifconfig eth0 promisc
> and if it starts working at that point then it would be a bug in the
> network interface driver's processing of multicast packets.

No firewall, network driver works fine.  Running the commands on the same
machine.  It's definitely not the driver;  I tested both setups (Slack
12.1/0.6.24, and Slack 12.2/0.6.24) on the same machine.  Earlier setup
works fine, latter one doesn't.

Another tester reporter the following, but they are not sure if it may be
causing the conflict:

Quote:

<snip>
Here is something I noticed while checking out Avahi, here are the
registered file descriptors:

root at edoras:/proc/19342/fd# ls -l
total 0
lrwx------ 1 root root 64 2009-01-27 00:33 0 -> /dev/pts/1
lrwx------ 1 root root 64 2009-01-27 00:33 1 -> /dev/pts/1
lrwx------ 1 root root 64 2009-01-27 00:41 10 -> socket:[142997]
lrwx------ 1 root root 64 2009-01-27 00:41 11 -> socket:[142998]
lrwx------ 1 root root 64 2009-01-27 00:41 12 -> socket:[142999]
lrwx------ 1 root root 64 2009-01-27 00:41 13 -> socket:[144867]
lrwx------ 1 root root 64 2009-01-27 00:33 2 -> /dev/pts/1
lr-x------ 1 root root 64 2009-01-27 00:33 3 -> pipe:[142991]
l-wx------ 1 root root 64 2009-01-27 00:41 4 -> pipe:[142991]
lr-x------ 1 root root 64 2009-01-27 00:41 5 -> pipe:[142992]
l-wx------ 1 root root 64 2009-01-27 00:41 6 -> pipe:[142992]
lrwx------ 1 root root 64 2009-01-27 00:41 7 -> socket:[142993]
lrwx------ 1 root root 64 2009-01-27 00:41 8 -> socket:[142995]
lr-x------ 1 root root 64 2009-01-27 00:41 9 -> inotify

Of those, only 0, 1 and 2 are existing, all the other pipes/sockets and
inotify are currently not there, by running Strace, it appears that it
gets stuck reading those sockets that are apparently not pointing anywhere:

poll([{fd=3, events=POLLIN}, {fd=13, events=POLLIN}, {fd=12,
events=POLLIN, revents=POLLIN}, {fd=11, events=POLLIN}, {fd=10,
events=POLLIN}, {fd=9, events=POLLIN}, {fd=8, events=POLLIN}, {fd=7,
events=POLLIN}, {fd=5, events=POLLIN}], 9, 423685) = 1

On 12.1, at least some of those sockets seem to be pointing somewhere.
Just a guess though.
</quote>

I haven't had a chance to verify this yet.  How could we go about testing
some more?

Thanks,

--
-= Steve =-