[avahi] Avahi and the loopback interface

ZioPRoTo (Saverio Proto) zioproto at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 06:09:54 PDT 2009

Hello,

I'm the author of the OLSR mDNS plugin. (http://www.olsr.org).

Please look here for details about the mDNS plugin:
http://zioproto.ninux.org/wordpress/2009/04/04/olsrd-mdns-plugin/

When I was testing my software I tried to configure the plugin to
decapsulate the mDNS traffic to the loopback interface, so that the
router itself is able to see mDNS traffic.

However it seems that avahi does not work by default with the loopback
interface, so I tried to following patch:

http://avahi.org/attachment/ticket/198/avahi-core.patch

Now if I launch the avahi-discover I see also the loopback interface
listed, but I don't see the services announced by other machines in
the network. With tcpdump I can see that my application is sending
mDNS messages on the loopback interface, so I was expecting them in
the list when launching avahi-discover.

If I have an application sending mDNS packets to the loopback
interface, are this packets going to be processed by Avahi using the
patch?
There is any other patch I can try ??

Saverio