[avahi] Resolving many ( > 200 ) items seems to lead to apparent congestion in the dbus

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Sat Jun 6 16:47:59 PDT 2009

On Thu, 28.05.09 13:43, Daniel Wynne (daniel.wynne at mobotix.com) wrote:

> But I think thats exactly the problem in our case. In our Testnetwork
> reside about 250 cameras we want to find and resolve via Avahi. So the
> cache is way big enough.

No. The limit of 500 entries in the cache that Avahi enforces is for
RRs, not services or hosts.

For each service you need (at least) one A, one PTR one SRV and one
TXT RR. Usually even more. I.e. if you register 250 services and want
to browser for them all at the same time you need as absolute minimum
space for 1000 entries, and practically even more.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net