[avahi] Disappearing and reappearing service if a text is changed

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Jun 17 07:35:33 PDT 2009

On Wed, 17.06.09 16:21, Florian Erfurth (f.erfurth at reel-multimedia.com) wrote:

> >> Ok, this means the host always(?) get 169.254.7.XXX-Address before
> >> getting IP from /etc/network/interfaces, right? Thank you for your tip,
> >> but I cannot use "ip addr" on client if I want to know the IP of the
> >> host.
> >
> > Uh? Not sure I understand what you mean.
> >
> > Avahi only announces one address per host name and interface. It tries
> > to be smart and picks the routable address over the IPv4LL address if
> > both are configured on the same interface.
> >
> I found out, and maybe this is the cause of my problem. Below you can
> see the output of 'ifconfig'.

ifconfig is obsolete. Use "ip addr". I wished distros wouldn't install
ifconfig anymore by default. ifconfig doesn't really handle interfaces
with multiple addresses properly, and neither labeled adresses.

> br0 is the bridge, which bridges between
> eth0 and eth1. The Client is connected to eth1. It seems Avahi on server
> sends IP-address from eth1-avah (169.254.9.181) instead of br0
> (192.168.7.120) which is wrong. :( By the way, why is there no br0-avah?
> Is this normal?

Yes, if you use a legacy tool than all kinds of weird things
happen. ifconfig has been obsolete since about kernel 2.2.

> Simple question: What should I do, so that Avahi sends IP of br0
> (192.168.7.120)?

The source address for UDP packets is chosen automatically by the
kernel as part of the routing table logic.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net