[avahi] foo => foo.local search path

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Jun 29 17:30:48 PDT 2009

On Mon, 29.06.09 17:19, Bill Moseley (moseley at hank.org) wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 2:24 PM, Lennart
> Poettering<lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> > We used to support that. But I removed it because that cannot work
> > properly. The simple reason is that would make every name a potential
> > mDNS name which would then mean that we'd have to resolve every
> > hostname via mDNS first, which is not really useful however, since
> > resolving host names that don't exist with mDNS will result in long
> > timeout. Which hence means, resolving *any* name will take 2s or so.
>
> Ok.
>
> But, can you explain why mDNS would be first?  Wouldn't the typical
> search order be for /etc/hosts, then DNS, and mDNS?

Sure you could put mDNS last. But then still for *every* non-existing
lookup you'll get a 2s timeout while traditionally you get a quick
NXDOMAIN reply.

Also note that many providers/companies/AP providers do weird things
with unknown domains in their DNS servers, i.e. redirect it to their
search engine, yadda, yadda. So if you put mDNS last mDNS won't be
reachable at all anymore, on those networks.

Also, this way you leak quite a bit of information on your local
network to the internet, since every local lookup would first go to
the internet DNS servers.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net