[avahi] browsing for services on a specific multicast address

Alon Noy alon.noy at ilsemedia.nl
Wed Mar 18 10:59:09 PDT 2009

I guess I didn't quit understand what the apple util dns-sd suppose to
do (I'm not a maci :) ), and the partial (and misleading) documentation
which I received for this server farm didn't help either, but I think
that what is really going on is that I'm suppose to query for sub type:
_225_0_10_100._sub._ftp._tcp in order to identify the nodes of a cluster.

the sub type _225_0_10_100 is just a way to group the different servers in a cluster. Its a way to say that these servers communicate between themselves on multicasting address 225.0.10.100 and not as I initially thought that they are using a different multicasting address for mDNS.