[avahi] avahi w/fixed IP, ipv6, and Macs?

David Abrahams dave at boostpro.com
Mon Mar 30 13:36:31 PDT 2009

Hi,

I have a Linux fileserver called hydra on my network with a fixed IP
address.  I can

        ssh hydra.local

from another Linux box, but not from a Mac.

Adding an /etc/avahi/hosts file containing

  192.168.xxx.xxx hydra.local

doesn't help.  If I pass -vvv to ssh, it appears that the Linux boxen
connect to hydra's ipv4 address, but the Mac is finding the ipv6
address.

I don't even know how the ipv6 address is getting assigned --- I don't
set up any ipv6 in hydra's /etc/network/interfaces file --- but it seems
as though this should all still work.  I realize I could turn off ipv6
on the fileserver, but I shouldn't have to, should I?

Thanks,

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing