[avahi] Fwd: On DBus

Jean-Lou Dupont avahi at jldupont.com
Tue Nov 17 09:17:28 PST 2009

Hi,

 I've been working on a pet-project ( a browser NPAPI plugin for
exposing local HTTP services ) and I've been "slowed down" (to say the
least) with the DBus interface.  It seems that in order to fully
"resolve" a new service through DBus a 3 step process is required:

1. Register a ServiceBrowser
2. Once an "ItemNew" signal is received, register a "ServiceResolver"
in order to get the full details of the said service
3. Grab the service details on reception of the "Found" signal

This is painful.

Why can't Avahi just announce everything on DBus without having to ask
for it??  It is not like we are talking about an unreasonable amount
of traffic on DBus here.

Am I missing something? Is there a better way of doing this?  ( FYI:
an NPAPI plugin is best coded in C )

Thanks,
Jean-Lou Dupont.

--