[avahi] Packets larger than MTU

Jakob Blomer jakob.blomer at cern.ch
Wed Oct 7 06:19:13 PDT 2009

Hi,

I am trying to (mis)use the txt record to publish a global configuration
file together with a service, basically key value pairs that usually
reside in /etc/...

For publishing, I use (a slightly modified) avahi-publish utility and
add strings linewise to the txt record.  It seems that if the packet
size exceeds the MTU, the txt record is cut off.  I played around a
little and hard coded the MTU to a high value.

Though this seems to work, even with unmodified Avahi instances on
receiver side, I'm wondering if there is a more elegant way of
publishing big records.  In particular, being able to publish arbitrary
large records would be helpful.

Cheers,
Jakob