[avahi] avahi-daemon stops working after undetermined period of time

Brian McKee map at map-heb.com
Fri Sep 11 08:56:03 PDT 2009

I'm resurrecting an old thread here.

I have a mixed Mac / Linux LAN - all static IP.
I'm advertising a couple of services on the Linux boxes.
The Macs are obviously advertising themselves as well.

Each time avahi-daemon is restarted service discovery etc. all seems
to work fine.
After about 10 minutes, you can't resolve the host names of the Linux
boxes anymore.

Previously on this list (Dec 08) it was suggested I check for firewall
issues - I've done so and confirmed that isn't currently a problem.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=872827 shows I'm not alone
anyway...

Suggestions on how to track down what's happening here?

I have run the avahi-daemon in --debug mode, and there is no
indication there at all when resolution starts failing.

Brian