[avahi] avahi-daemon stops working after undetermined period of time

Brian McKee map at map-heb.com
Thu Sep 17 06:05:13 PDT 2009

On 17-Sep-09, at 1:07 AM, Trent Lloyd wrote:
> This whole issue is a tell-tale sign of a broken network device.
>
> Usually it is wireless network cards, but sometimes is also wired and
> switches.

It happens on every system.  They are all wired but various hardware.
I can't believe that all those various network cards have driver issues.
Most of them are running Ubuntu 8.04LTS, but the one time I tested
9.04 it showed similar behaviour.

If it was the switches, which are homogenous, then why would the Macs
still see Bonjour advertised services?
Or is their software stack different enough that's a red herring?
The Macs always see each other, they only see a linux boxes after that
box has it's avahi-daemon restarted.

> The usual issue is you restart Avahi on a particular system and all
> systems can now see that node for 10 minutes, after that time the TTLs
> expire and any queries from other devices for its names or services
> are not seen as the network driver doesn't send the multicast requests
> to Avahi.

Yes, that is what is happening. Apologies if the previous explanation
was unclear.

I'll pull out Wireshark when I get a minute and see what I can see.  I
wish I had a working network to contrast it to.

Brian