[avahi] Only IPv6 services are visible

Marc Heerdink marc.heerdink at gmail.com
Sat Mar 20 04:25:25 PDT 2010

Hi all,

Thanks for all your suggestions. Adding "publish-a-on-ipv6=yes" (the other
options were already as suggested by Phil) fixed the problem of the IPv4
lookups, although - if I understand correctly - the IPv4 lookup is now
performed via an IPv6 broadcast rather than the IPv4 broadcast that normally
should work.

Regarding a firewall as a possible cause: This is, afaik, not likely because
I'm not using any on the local network. Of course, there's one running on
the router, but only for the external interface. The avahi-daemon.conf is a
more likely cause, but I'm using the stock Gentoo versions (which is, I
believe, an unmodified version from the avahi package), only with the
publish-a-on-ipv6 option. Furthermore, the configuration on all three
machines I've tested is identical and only one of them, the htpc, has
invisible IPv4 services.

Yesterday, I was finally able to test with a second cable. Having connected
both the laptop and the htpc via cable, the laptop was sometimes able to
detect the IPv4 services on the htpc, and sometimes not. There was no change
for the second laptop, however, which was still unable to detect anything
IPv4 related on the htpc. Although this combination of findings is a bit
puzzling, I am more and more suspecting the router of doing something bad to
IPv4 broadcast packages on the wired interface. In any way, I'm more or less
convinced that it's not avahi that's causing the problems, so that makes my
problems irrelevant to this mailing list :) I hope they will be gone when I
upgrade my internet connection and get a new router from a different brand.

Thanks for all the input!

Best,
Marc