[avahi] localhost service discovery in offline mode

Remi Emonet remi-14-ecf2 at heeere.com
Sat Oct 9 13:48:59 PDT 2010

Dear avahi developers,

I would really like to have some feedback on my previous mail.
We are using avahi in the http://omiscid.gforge.inria.fr/ project. We
want to push the project forward and want to know if we can count on
avahi for localhost-only (offline) discovery or if we will have to
duplicate the service discovery (e.g. using dbus) or find an alternative.

I found that my question is to some extent related to
http://avahi.org/ticket/92 . I could also see some possible elements of
"solution" in the patches from http://avahi.org/ticket/198 .

Also, now I can better reformulate my request for enhancement:
     When using for AvahiIfIndex: AVAHI_IF_UNSPEC = -1       /**<
Unspecified/all interface(s) */,
     discovery through the local "lo" network interface should be enabled.

Thanks in advance for any feedback (even negative).
Rémi