[avahi] Reason for entry groups

Trent Lloyd lathiat at bur.st
Sun Oct 24 19:29:22 PDT 2010

Christiano,

On 24/10/2010, at 11:29 PM, Christiano F. Haesbaert wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm trying to understand the reason behind entry groups.
> From what  I understand it's a way to guarantee failure/success for a
> group of services correct ?
>
> Is there any other benefit ? The probing and announcements steps has
> to be done in separate packages correct ?
>
> Could someone clarify the motivations for this ?

It is to guarantee atomicity of advertising a group of services - not all service types advertise more than 1 service but some do - for example printers often advertise at least _ipp._tcp and _http._tcp among others.

they will either all be announced, or none - for example the HTTP service might have a name conflict but the IPP didn't, since they are committed together it never goes live and you get a chance to change the name.

Trent