[avahi] Questions regarding service types

Andrew Tunnell-Jones andrew at tj.id.au
Fri Apr 8 14:41:05 PDT 2011

On 08/04/2011, at 11:19 AM, Nathanael D. Noblet wrote:

> On 04/08/2011 07:24 AM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
>> On Thu, 07.04.11 09:28, Nathanael D. Noblet (nathanael at gnat.ca) wrote:
>> The database is used only and exclusively by avahi-browse and
>> avahi-discover. If you need your own private additions then feel free to
>> extend the database locally, but keep in mind that you need to rebuild
>> the binary version of it with that Python script.
>
> Okay, so then does it matter? I won't be using those apps, I was just using them as a way to test what was going on. Do other apps that look for published services use their own inhouse db? Or do they just search for particular service types and ignore the rest (in which case I don't need to worry about them showing up elsewhere)... ?

Apps will just look for instances of whatever service type is appropriate to them. If your app is going to be widely deployed it's worth registering your service[1] to stake your claim on the namespace and avoid the potential for two different apps to use the one service type in a conflicting manner.

Andrew

1. http://dns-sd.org/ServiceTypes.html