[avahi] Client Browser questions

Nathanael D. Noblet nathanael at gnat.ca
Mon Apr 11 08:13:23 PDT 2011

Hello,

   So using the examples from the source in avahi I've been able to get
my one app to see when a new service comes online that I'm interested
in. However I'm confused about the other use-case, mainly when a client
goes offline. It doesn't provide enough information to know which host
disappeared...

 From the example browse_callback you get the event (failure, new,
remove etc) in the case of new you resolve it to a host. Is there any
way in the REMOVE case to determine the source (IP, hostname or any
other identifying). The reason being is that my app is an
'administration' app, so has a list of configured hosts, and avahi is
used to know when they are accessible. So when a host starts the service
I can see it and in my host list I mark it as 'online' but when I cancel
the service, I can't see a way to mark that host as offline.

Thoughts?

--
Nathanael d. Noblet
t 403.875.4613