[avahi] Collisions not getting detected in python-avahi

Daniel Stonier d.stonier at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 02:12:01 PDT 2011

Hi all,

I'm having trouble getting avahi to detect collisions when trying to add a
service with a name that is already existing.

For reference

 - Platform is ubuntu 10.04
 - I'm using exactly the script at
http://avahi.org/wiki/PythonPublishExample
 - I have two shells open, and run the same script in each shell

Results:

The first execution starts the Demo Service and can be seen when running
`avahi-browse -a`.

The second execution appears to go smoothly, the group state change goes
through 'ENTRY_GROUP_REGISTERING'->'ENTRY_GROUP_ESTABLISHED', but nothing
appears on the avahi browser. I would have expected a group state change to
'ENTRY_GROUP_COLLISION' here.

Additionally, the underlying avahi library is doing collisions properly - I
can check that by running

> avahi-publish -s 'Demo Service' _demo._tcp 1234
> Failed to add service: Local name collision

Is there a problem with python-avahi and dbus in handling the local name
collisions?

Regards,
Daniel Stonier.