[avahi] troubleshooting Avahi problem present when wan connected

Demian Martin demianm_1 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 25 23:11:49 PDT 2011

I have a mysterious problem. Home network with Apple Airport router. Comcast
network on the WAN port. Debian headless box with the latest Avahi
installed.

If the system is booted with the wan connected to the router the boot stalls
and bonjour/Zeroconfig cannot find this box, either locally from the box
(avahi-browse) or from elsewhere on the network. Other devices (iPod/ Apple
PC) are found without trouble. However if its booted with the WAN
disconnected from the router it boots quickly and Avahi works fine, even
after the router is reconnected to the WAN.

I have tried many things but I don't really know what to look for or where
to start. At one point changing the DNS server from Comcast to OpenDNS or
Google seemed to help but it doesn't seem to help for now. I have disabled
ip v6 in the config file, with no discernable effect.

Please advise anything that may help resolve this problem.

Demian Martin

Product Design Services

784 Cary Drive

San Leandro, CA 94577