[avahi] Avahi and IPv6

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Sat Jan 1 13:19:56 PST 2011

On Fri, 31.12.10 15:13, W. Michael Petullo (mike at flyn.org) wrote:

> I have read several documents on the Internet that indicate that Avahi
> supports IPv6. I am using Fedora 14 and am not getting the behavior I
> expect from Avahi on IPv6.
>
> I have written "use-ipv6=yes" to "avahi-daemon.conf," but when I run
> "avahi-browse," I do not see any IPv6 services listed (only IPv4). For
> an additional test, I turned off "use-ipv4." In this case, "avahi-browse"
> listed no services. I would expect to see at least the "_workstation._tcp"
> service listed as available on IPv6.

Note that there is no such thing as an "IPV6 service". There are two things:

a) You use IPV6 as a protocol to exchange mDNS packets with

and/or

b) The hostnames in mDNS contain AAAA records, i.e. IPv6 address
records.

A service will never refer to a specific address, it only refers to a
hostname, which might or might not have an A and/or AAAA record assigned.

The a) listed above  you may control via use-ipv6=yes/no.  With
publish-aaaa-on-ipv4=yes you can influence b).

> Finally, I enabled ipv6, disabled ipv4 and ran "avahi-publish -s test
> _test._tcp 80."  This command responded with "Established under name
> 'test'," but avahi-browse did not display the service.

Not at all? This would be an indication that your machine does not
deliver IPv6 packets, in wich case you might want to use tcpdump or
wireshark to see if this works.

> I have tried turning off my host firewall and have disabled SELinux.

Are you sure you disabled ip6tables? It is orthogonal of iptables, which
is IPv4 only.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.