[avahi] How Avahi dnsconfd works ?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Jun 27 05:05:15 PDT 2011

On Fri, 24.06.11 22:24, Amirouche Boubekki (amirouche.boubekki at gmail.com) wrote:

> Héllo,
>
> I see that avahi-dnsconfd achieve to handle dns request from the browser
> without being listed in /etc/resolv.conf. I think that it's part of the dns
> resolution spec to check whether or not localhost can answer the query
> first.
>
> The problem is that, it looks like, there's nobody on port 53. So how does
> avahi catch dns lookups and answer it ?

avahi-dnsconfd is simply a daemon which allows local configuration of
DNS servers with nameserver addresses that are supplied via special mDNS
RRs. It has very little sensible use actually. The reason I implemented
it was mostly to complete the spec. Distributions should not instal this
daemon by default.

nss-mdns is responsible for resolving .local names. It is enabled via
/etc/nsswitch.conf, and works independently of classic unicast DNS.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.