[avahi] Eth0 2 IP's - resolves to 169 series IP and not to DHCP IP

Harikrishna Donti Harikrishna.Donti at Lntemsys.com
Tue Mar 8 11:08:31 PST 2011

Hi,

I have avahi installed on an ARM based board. I have my eth0 configured to
DHCP and eth0 also has an Alias IP "169.254.1.100". The idea behind having
an alias IP was an installer can always connect an Ethernet cable between
his laptop and board and talk to board.

When I start avahi, it logs messages .........
avahi-daemon 0.6.22 starting up
WARNING: No NSS support for mDNS detected, consider installing nss-mdns!
Joining mDNS multicast group on interface eth0.IPv4 with address
169.254.1.200.
New relevant interface eth0.IPv4 for mDNS
Network interface enumeration completed.
Registering new address record for 169.254.1.200 on eth0.IPv4.
Registering new address record for 10.113.25.45 on eth0.IPv4
Server startup complete. Host name is MY0008F80201CE.local. Local service
cookie is 2388707700

When I try to discover the board, the host name most of the times resolves
to 169.254.1.200 and not to the dhcp IP ( 10.112.25.45). I would like to
discover or resolve to DHCP IP or both IP's. How can I achieve this? Is
there any configuration not to discover 169.* IP's?

Regards,
Hari