[avahi] Resolve Local Hostnames using Aavhi

Mattia Rossi mrossi at swin.edu.au
Sun May 22 17:17:18 PDT 2011

Hi John,

I believe you need the following line in /etc/nsswitch.conf :

hosts:      files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4

as described in the Documentation section at
http://0pointer.de/lennart/projects/nss-mdns/

Even though it says mdns4_minimal resolves .local addresses, it also
says it resolves only IPV4LL addresses (169.254.x.x), which to me sounds
like it doesn't resolve addresses from the private IPv4 range..

Don't know if it's just not formulated well or if that's really the
case. I'd give it a shot though.

Mat