[avahi] Linsys E4200: Received response with invalid source port

Eric Martel shrodi+avahi at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 07:36:14 PDT 2011

Interesting opinion from a Cisco expert (I replaced non-useful text by "[...]");
what do you thing of the possible security risks? I copied my original post on
this list at the bottom for easier reference.

<-- BEGIN OPINION -->

Again. The RFC says "MUST silently ignore".

avahi doesn't ignore it silently. It does something about which is not silent. [...]

They should ignore it. Don't log anything. If they think it's beneficial for
debugging, they should offer a configuration option that allows to enable more
verbose logging and only then log the messages.

[...]

On the contrary: logging these messages could be use for a denial of service
attack. It's a very easy way to generate log entries and thus fill up disk
space. Send mdns packages with invalid source ports to the avahi daemon as fast
as you can...

Thus, with very good reason the RFC says it should be silently ignored.
Incorrect packets should not do anything. They should not appear anywhere unless
you specifically ask for this information, e.g. during debugging...

[...]

<-- END OPINION -->